Do remember the first time you heard the word Wiki? I know I do and I recall wondering if it was a new George Lucas character from an upcoming Star Wars film. Now wikis are everywhere and we all know they can be our new best friend when we are looking for good information.
Well, thereâs a new wiki in town. The Detroit Regional News Hub in partnership with Luther Keith and his ARISE Detroit! organization have launched the Detroit Information Network (DIN), Detroitâs only transformation news hub. DIN includes digital, print and broadcast stories from local, national and international media as well as the neighborhood, business and community publications and blogs.
The genesis for this wiki was pretty simple. Over and over since we started The Hub and Detroit Unspun, we have heard people complain or comment that the media does not write or cover the good news happening in Detroit especially at the neighborhood level.
We sensed an opportunity because we knew there was âgoodâ or âpositiveâ coverage but it got drowned out or buried in the day in, day out happenings in news rooms. We also wanted to take a broader view by tracking solution-based stories â they may not be all positive but they point to people and efforts who are actively engaged in trying to solve problems and transform this region.
As Marge Sorge puts it, âWe saw a need for a one stop shop that aggregates and archives solution-based stories about how the Detroit region is transforming itself for the 21st century. We knew there was a great deal of news content that tells a great story about whatâs happening in the Detroit region but that it was not easy to find since it was spread out in so many places. We also knew that many news stories have an expiration date â they either get taken down from a site after a set period of time or get pushed down so far that they become nearly impossible to find. We thought this was a service we could provide to help people easily find and share our regionâs transformational stories.â
Many of the stories captured in DIN emphasize efforts to improve Detroit neighborhoods and the quality of life in southeastern Michigan. The content provided in the wiki comes from trusted sources at the international, national, state, neighborhood, city and regional level.
It is organized by stories that fit into the following broad categories:
- Detroit Creates-follows stories in the region and in the neighborhoods focusing on Detroitâs burgeoning artistic community
- Detroit Designs-follows stories on the role multi-faceted design (autos, clothing, buildings, technology, etc.) plays in shaping Detroit and its neighborhoods
- Detroit Gives-follows stories on how foundations, organizations and individuals are giving of their time and money to transform Detroit and its neighborhoods
- Detroit Heals-follows stories about the growing health care community in the region, the city and in the neighborhoods
- Detroit Innovates-follows stories about innovative technologies and ideas from businesses and entrepreneurs at the regional, city and neighborhood level.
- Detroit Learns-follows stories about Detroitâs educational community (K-12, charter schools, trade schools and universities)
- Detroit Plays-follows Detroitâs recreation, sports and entertainment scene from the neighborhood to regional level
- Detroit Renovates-follows stories about how the landscape and buildings of Detroit and its neighborhoods are being restored and reinvented
- Detroit Thrives-follows the stories about exceptional achievements by the people, neighborhoods and organizations in Metro Detroit
According to Luther Keith, âFrom our work in the community, we know there is a huge appetite for more stories of hope, change and inspiration about Detroit and our region. We want DIN to be a home where people can find these stories, whether they are produced by local media outlets or from our own reporting resources at DIN. We also hope these stories will encourage others to become active in improving our communities.â
Our hope is that DIN will make it easier to find more of these stories in one place.
In addition to the stories from trusted sources, the site also includes original content produced by the DIN team. This wiki site also houses news from major foundations and organizations (government, churches, block clubs, businesses, community organizations) working on improving the quality of life in Detroit and the region.
So take a look. Share. Add to it. Help us make a good loud DIN about whatâs going on in our transforming city.
Wiki link: wiki.thedetroithub.com